Wednesday 18 June 2008

Deerhunter - Glasgow - Father's Day



Sunday was a first in terms of gigs for me. For one, I was seeing Deerhunter, a band I've been patiently waiting to see for awhile now. The other was the fact this was our first time seeing a gig in Glasgow's Stereo.



After (finally) finding the venue we hung around for a bit, and even caught Bradford Cox having a coffee in the restaurant area of Stereo. When the doors for the gig opened we went downstairs to the where the gig was taking place. I had heard from a few friends that Stereo was basically a glorified basement (just turning eighteen myself meant I couldn't get into most of the awesome gigs that had been held there before). I actually found the venue to be pretty damn good however. For all the venue was very small there was also a great feeling of intimacy between the performers and audience, making it feel more like going to see your friends band play at a local venue.



First on the bill where NYC's High Places. I had heard the band before after finding out they where supporting Deerhunter on this tour so I knew I wasnt in for a bout of Xiu Xiu soundalikes although their setup could have fooled me otherwise. The band come under the whole "folktronica" tag but I thought they seemed more like an upbeat trip-hop group with a lot of Caribbean and reggae influences. Their set was very tight and they seemed to pick up a few new fans from the show. Ones to watch for the future then...



Deerhunter themselves where in top form, playing songs from both Microcastle and Cryptograms. Brad was at his most eccentric and kept the between song (and mid song) banter very funny with calls of quiting music because "these sell out shows don't do anything for me anymore!".They also performed a cover since it was father's Day for Brad's father. Ending with "Strange Lights", the band chose to give their guitars out to the audience to play them off while the noise grew louder and louder. As I said, the night felt really intimate and this only added to that leaving everyone in high spirits as they left. I'm still majorly gutted about not seeing Bradford playing as Atlas Sound in May but after Deerhunter's performance on Sunday I'm assured that there's a big chance I'll be seeing the man play again in one form or another very soon.

1 comment:

blend77 said...

oh man, thats awesome. i have to wait until fall to see them here in nyc...

patiently patiently...

^_^