Saturday 1 December 2007

Carbine's Top 10 Of 2007



It's amazing how time consuming college can be but I've finally managed to create my Top Ten Albums of this year! Hopefully there wont be as much as a post drought as their has been but don't quote me on that just yet!

- - - - - - - - - -

On a side note I'd just like to mention the passing of one of the best blogs I ever came across;"ROAWR!". Mixing hardcore, screamo, early emo, hip-hop, metal and a whole host of other music genre's, the site got me into many, many band's who I wouldn't have heard of otherwise and it is a real shame the creators have decided to shut the place down.

However with it's passing a new blog has sprung into life! The Spark That Bled has recently just been created by a very good friend of mine and his first posts have already gave promise of much more greater things to come so check it out! Now then, lets get into this list.....


1. Battles - Mirrored & Cadence Weapon - Breaking Kayfabe

At joint top of my list is Canadian rapper Cadence Weapon and American experimental rock band Battles. Both of these albums are debut's and couldn't be further away from each other in types of music but both have one major thing in common and that's amazing originality. I strongly suggest anyone who has heard neither of these band to check them out as your really missing out! I've got a track from each to really give you an idea of what their like

Battles: Leyendecker
Cadence Weapon: Black Hand


3.The Horrors - Strange House

Causing quite a stir in the British indie scene for their supposed "style over music" ways, the band have proved their haters wrong with their modern take on 60's garage rock.


The Horrors: A Train Roars


4. Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

I was slightly confused about putting this album into the list as it's been a favourite of mine since 2006 when it first leaked onto the Internet. The band have went from strength to strength on this, their second album. I eagerly anticipated what they'll do in 2008


Bloc Party: SRXT


5.Tomahawk - Anonymous

This album was guaranteed a place in the list as soon as Patton announced it just for the reason that the man's a genius. This album has certainly lived up to expectations and over with Mike and the rest of the guys taking on the challenge of creating an entire album of modern takes on old Native American songs.


Tomahawk: Crow Dance


6.Good Shoes - Think Before You Speak

With complex guitar parts and smart lyrics, Good Shoes debut has been a breath of fresh air in an overly dull British indie scene. Also you should try to catch them live where their already great songs come into a life of their own.


Good Shoes: Things To Make And Do


7.HEALTH - HEALTH

A teeth smashing debut and late comer into my list, HEALTH are from America and play some of the best noise rock since the Boredoms and are still only kids. I cant put this album on without listening to every song on it.


HEALTH: Courtship


8. The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters

The best new Scottish band for a very long time. The band combine shoegazing and post-rock along with lead singer James Graham's thick accent to make a debut full of songs that will make you glad to be alive.


The Twilight Sad: Cold Days From The Birdhouse


9. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

Seeing as the post before this one was a music video by SGM it's safe to say I think they are ace. The Avant-Garde rock band have created a superb third album with snippets of all sorts of genre's littering this album. One for the open-minded.


Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Helpless Corpses Enactment

10.Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound

What can you say really? Shellac have been and always be amazing and this album just shows why this is. Buy it now!


Shellac: Spoke

-------------------------------------------

Ahhhhh, all done for this year...best go and start next years right now!

7 comments:

Electorrr said...

Nice list man, i wouldn't agree on all of them but it can't really be faulted. Health will probably make an appearance in my list, I wish i'd kept track of them instead of leaving Crimewave languishing on my ipod, theyre a brilliant band. Oh and thanks for the plug =]

gabbagabbahey said...

Good to see Battles up there - did you get to see them live?

I'd do one of these lists myself but I'm not sure if I bought more than 10 new albums this year altogether!

David said...

Unfortunately I never got to catch them which was a bit of a let down...however I'm going to see The Mars Volta in March of next year so hopefully that will make up for it!

westie said...

i think good shoes and the horrors will definitely be in my top 10 when i get round to doing it when I get all this courswork out of the way! Cheers for the comments, because of the aforementioned coursework I don't have much time right now to check out some of your posts but i'll add you to my links and be sure to have a look soon!

Anonymous said...

Cadence Weapon was 2005.

David said...

Actually, it was only just released in the UK so, as I live in the UK, it was a 2007 album.

adonis. said...

haha, that'll teach him.